February 27, 2014

February Bibliography

This past weekend was the On and Off Fredericksburg Road Studio Tour. On Saturday, I made my way to a few studio spaces and met some fascinating artists. It’s such a treat to see where artists create, so this event is a favorite of mine, especially since its right in my neighborhood. The Rivard Report sums up the event in this piece: Better than Ever: On and Off Fred Studio Tour. (Bonus points if you can spot me in one of the photos). 

If you were out this weekend, you may have purchased some art work, or maybe you thought about buying something, but weren’t sure. There are so many opportunties to purchase original art in San Antonio each month, and with Contemporary Art Month coming up, I thought this article, 4 Ideas for Finding More Meaningful Art, had some great ideas to keep in mind during your next visit to a local gallery or open studio night.  

And finally, I have to say that I am not a fan of the term “selfie,” and in certain contexts am annoyed by them. I do, however, get how they are transforming the way we see ourselves and each other. Jerry Saltz's article, At Arm's Length: A History of the Selfiewas quite insightful and worth a read:
"Selfies come from all of us; they are a folk art that is already expanding the language and lexicon of photography. Selfies are a photography of modern life—not that academics or curators are paying much attention to them. They will, though: In a hundred years, the mass of selfies will be an incredible record of the fine details of everyday life.
Speaking of "selfies," check out Gravelmouth Gallery's CAM event, Shoot Yourself

At the end of each month, I’ll share a short list of links to articles, blogs, images, or videos I’ve come across online and think you might enjoy as well.