August 5, 2016

Provenance Gallery August Exhibition


Provenance Gallery is pleased to present Momento, an exhibition featuring the work of Andrea ReyesPlease join us on Second Saturday, August 13th from 7pm - 10pm for the opening reception. The exhibition will be on view until August 28th by appointment. 

Reyes’ paintings appeal to the sense of touch through her use of different mediums to create actual physical texture. They are three-dimensional paintings with an interest in shape, a variation of tonality, and color. 


“I get to experience a moment of innocence by experimenting, discovering, feeling free, and being spontaneous with my work. I follow my instinct in order to know what I will do, what I am doing, and to know when I am finished. When creating each painting I try to be in the present and in the moment by forgetting what I created in the past or what will be the end result of my painting. 


I respond to options and changes as they arise, not thinking about perfection or judgment. Once I disconnect from everything meditation occurs during the process of my painting. Every action becomes an acquired knowledge and a new experience of using and applying and thinking about the next step in my work.”  

ABOUT THE ARTIST
Andrea Reyes is a San Antonio-based abstract painter. Her artistic process began at an early age when she took pastel, clay, and painting classes in her hometown of Piedras Negras, Mexico. Her inspirations principally come by being in the present time and having moments of innocence, experimentation, discovery, and also by acting spontaneously in her work, following her instincts. The paintings are characterized by using a variation of colors and tonalities using primarily acrylic and oil paints, in addition to other mediums when using textural compositions. Drawing and photography are other mediums that are big elements of her artwork. 

Reyes completed a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree with a concentration in Painting and a Minor in Business Administration in the University of Texas at San Antonio in December of 2015. She taught painting courses in Piedras Negras, Mexico during the summer of 2015 and is currently working as an art professor at private schools in San Antonio, Texas.

Reyes’ drawings and paintings have been exhibited in various group shows in San Antonio, Texas, including a Pop-Up Shop at Café Commerce, the 31st Art Student Exhibition at the University of Texas at San Antonio Art Gallery, and the BFA Group Exhibition at the University of Texas at San Antonio Art Gallery. 

Artist’s Website: www.andreareyesart.com

Click HERE to RSVP on Facebook.