March 31, 2015

March Bibliography

At the end of each month, I’ll share a short list of links to articles, blogs, images, or videos I’ve come across online and think you might enjoy as well. This month, I've also included some of my favorites from Contemporary Art Month.
Jenelle Esparza's installation at Seven Mintues in Heaven on March 7
I loved this piece by Holland Cotter in the New York Times. It reminded me of how it feels every time I get to see works of in art in person, after having studied them in books and online. I've always felt this -- "Paintings are personal documents, their surfaces as readable as diary entries."

Louie Chavez's installation at Seven Mintues in Heaven on March 7
It was really moving to listen to Rick Abath speak for the first time about having been one of the guards on duty the night of the theft at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum: 
"More than anything else I'm angry about it. I don't want to be remembered for this alone. I'd like to be remembered for the good things I've done. I'm a husband, a father of two really cool kids, but they're saying it's half a billion worth of artwork now. And ultimately I'm the one who made the decision to buzz them in."
Chris Montoya, The Continuation of Ideals at Silkworm Studio and Gallery on 2nd Saturday in March
Watch artists respond to works of art in the collection of the Metropolitan Museum of Art in Season One of The Artist Project. 

Here's a short documentary about Surrealist, Leonora Carrington, whose fantastic, symbolic paintings are some of my favorites. 
Yenifer Gavina, Heart at R Gallery on 2nd Saturday in March